Mounting A Strategic Defense Against Federal Drug Charges
If you have been arrested for a federal drug crime in Detroit, it may seem like there is no way out. The police found drugs in your car, you’re in handcuffs and the prosecution has obtained your confession. You know that federal drug laws come with severe punishments, and you know that you could go to prison.
However, even in situations as dire as this one, there are defenses available to you. You can challenge the legality of the stop. You can question the results of the crime lab’s analysis. You can beat your charges. You can win, and I can show you how.
Decades Of Successful Representation
I am a Detroit-based attorney who specializes in providing aggressive legal representation for Michigan residents facing federal drug charges. Since 1989, I have represented clients who have been charged with all types of drug crimes, including:
- Drug trafficking
- Drug possession
- Possession with intent to sell
- Prescription drug fraud
- Manufacturing meth or illegal substances
- Drug conspiracy to sell
- Operation of a methamphetamine laboratory
- Sale of illegal substances in a school zone
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
Not all criminal defense attorneys understand the federal criminal process. I do. I will use my insight to fight for your rights and secure the best outcome possible according to your unique circumstances.
When you are facing a federal criminal charge, the stakes are high. I have successfully represented thousands of Michigan residents, and I am ready to get results for you too.
Focused On Your Rights And Your Case
Defending your constitutional rights is my top priority, and I pride myself on analyzing every aspect of your case to find defenses to the accusations brought against you. I’m not afraid to ask the hard-hitting questions that will get results for you.
Questions in the case to consider:
- Did the police have a legal reason to pull you over or search you?
- Did a law enforcement agent coerce you into making a confession?
- Was the chain of command broken when the evidence was gathered, resulting in evidence tampering or loss?
The answers to these questions can be the difference between going to prison and going home to your family. By challenging the federal prosecutors at every turn, I make sure that you get the best defense for your money.
How You Can Defend Yourself From Day One
Having represented thousands of clients, I know that every good drug defense begins with a good client, and a well-informed client is a good client. Here are three helpful tips for clients to remember when dealing with the police and other law enforcement agents:
- Do not say anything: If they ask you questions, ask for a lawyer immediately. Lying to a law enforcement agent during the course of a federal investigation is a federal offense that carries significant penalties. You have the right to remain silent. Exercise that right and save your case.
- Do not consent to a search: Unless a police officer has a warrant or there is probable cause to do so, the police have no authority to search you, your home, your car or your personal belongings. They can, however, ask for your consent to search. Just say no.
- Remain calm: It is always best to stay calm and be polite when dealing with law enforcement. Getting a police officer angry at you never has a positive outcome.
Fight For Your Future – Contact Michael A. Rataj, PC, Today
If you have been charged with a federal drug crime, your future may be on the line. Let me zealously represent your interests in court and help you take back your life.